Your member directory includes a "Contact" feature that lets members message each other directly through SilkStart. See the bottom of this article for notes on messaging in multi-chapter.
How does it work?
The contact feature on your profile allows others to send you a message while keeping your email address private. When someone contacts you (or your company) through the directory, you are sent an email notification with a link to the messaging area of the website where you can reply. Messages can also be accessed at any time using the dropdown menu under your name in the top-right corner of the site when you are logged in.
*See below for how individual members/companies can disable this feature on their profile listing.
How do I contact a member or company?
- Navigate to your site's Directory page (yourdomain.com/directory)
- Search for the user or company you would like to reach, and click the Contact button on their profile listing.
- Type your message in the box that appears, and press Send.
- This message will be sent to the user's email, and be visible in the Messages tab in the menu under their name when logged in. If sent to a company, the message will be delivered to the company's Contact Person.
To ensure that users receive a message notification via email, they can visit their Account Settings, and under the Notifications tab, select "Notify me when I receive a message from another user."
How does a member or company disable the Contact button on their directory listing?
- As a member, log in and click your name in the top right corner of the site.
- Choose Edit My Profile from the menu (or Edit Company Profile as a company admin)
- Under the Privacy tab, un-check the following box:
- Save your changes.
How do I disable the messaging feature for my entire website?
- Log in to your admin panel and navigate to Apps > Settings > Directory.
- Check the box that reads "disable the message tool" for Individuals, Companies, or both.
How does the messaging tool work in multi-chapter networks?
As a user part of a multi-chapter association, you will have different message inboxes for each different chapter you belong to, as well as the parent network.
This means that if someone sends you a message via the main directory at the parent level, this message will appear in your inbox when you are logged into the parent website.
If someone sends you a message via a chapter's directory, this message will appear in your inbox when you are logged in to that chapter's website.