What are social logins?
Social logins make it easier for your members to sign in and access their SilkStart accounts. SilkStart can allow your members to log in using their Facebook account.
Many people now have accounts on so many different websites that remembering the username and password for any one site can be a challenge. If your members sign into their SilkStart accounts every day or week, they probably know their credentials - but if they only sign in once or twice a year, they may not know that information.
Many people use their social media accounts daily though, so even if they don't remember their SilkStart information, they probably know their Facebook credentials. Allowing members to log in to your site using their social media account information makes it easier for them to log in quickly every time they visit your site.
How does it work?
- When a member registers, they can choose to link their member account to a social media account. Members can also update this information at any time from the Social tab when editing their profile.
- When that person signs in to your member site, they will be able to use the credentials from that social media account.
- SilkStart records that person's username, but doesn't keep any password information. The member can decide if they want to allow SilkStart to post content to their social media account.
How to set up social logins
Social logins can be turned on/off in your admin panel under Settings > Social Integration. On this page, below "General Social Integration Settings", there is a checkbox to enable/disable social logins. If you de-select the "Disable social logins" box, social logins will be enabled, and a Facebook App will need to be created to input in the fields that appear. See below for complete instructions, or feel free to contact SilkStart support if you have any questions or concerns.
If you are NOT using a custom domain: (ie. your site will only be accessed by my-association.silkstart.com)
If you do not plan on connecting a custom domain (ie. www.mywebsite.com) to your SilkStart site, you may copy and paste the following credentials into the respective fields under Settings > Social Integration.
If you ARE using a custom domain: (ie. your site can be accessed by www.mywebsite.com)
If you're using your own domain name instead of a SilkStart domain (e.g. mywebsite.com instead of my-association.silkstart.com), in order to use Facebook logins, a Facebook app will need to be created corresponding to the correct domain name.
- Go to https://developers.facebook.com/. You will first need to be logged into the Facebook account you would like the app to be connected with (If at any time you need to make updates to this app you will need to be able to sign into this Facebook account again).
- Click 'My Apps'.
- Select 'Add a New App'.
- In the popup window, enter a Display Name, such as your association's name.
- Ensure that Contact Email is also filled out in the popup.
- Click 'Create App ID'.
- On the Facebook Product page, select Integrate Facebook Login and then click Confirm.
- You will then be taken to your app's dashboard page. Select Finish Quickstart.
- On the next page, it will ask you to Choose a Platform. Select 'Web'.
- It will ask you about your site URL. Enter your custom domain URL, e.g. http://www.mywebsite.com. Then click 'Save'.
- Rather than click 'Continue', in the left-hand menu, click 'Facebook Login' then click 'Settings' (it's important that you click this lower level Settings link and not the top level settings link).
- There should be a field for 'Valid OAuth redirect URIs'. In this field, add your custom domain and your SilkStart domain E.g. www.mywebsite.com, my-association.silkstart.com. Save your changes.
- Now click the top level 'Settings' link in the left-hand column menu under 'Dashboard' and select Basic.
- Scroll down and click the '+ Add a Platform' button at the bottom of the screen.
- Select 'Page Tab' from the platform options.
- There will be a 'Secure Page Tab URL'. Enter your secure SilkStart URL there beginning with 'https' E.g. https://my-association.silkstart.com
- On the same page, fill out the App Domains field. Add your SilkStart domain and your custom domain E.g. my-association.silkstart.com, www.mywebsite.com
- Click 'Save Changes'.
- Along the top white bar click on the off toggle to make your app public.
- You will be prompted to select a category - choose your preferred one and click 'Confirm'.
- If you are not already, navigate back to Settings > Basic just below the Dashboard.
- Copy your App ID and App Secret.
- In your SilkStart admin panel, navigate to Settings > Social Integration.
- Make sure the box called "Disable social integrations" is un-checked.
- Scroll down to the area where you can input your App ID and App Secret.
- Save your changes.
What happened to the Twitter integration?
As of early 2019, SilkStart will no longer support integrations with Twitter. The removal decision is based largely on Twitter’s integration API changes, making it impractical to continue to offer the feature.
This means that if you allow members to log in to your website via a social network via the configurations outlined above, they will be able to do so only through Facebook. In addition, the feature enabling auto-tweets of newly-posted items such as articles and events will no longer be supported.
Users can still enter their Twitter handle when editing their profiles. A link to their Twitter feed will display on their directory profile if you decide to display users' social media links in this way.
We understand that this may be a disruptive change, and are happy to answer any questions that you may have. Please reach out to us with any concerns.
Please sign in to leave a comment.