What is PayPal?
PayPal is one of the oldest and most trusted names in online payment processing.
How do I receive payments to my PayPal account?
1. You must have a PayPal account and a Premium SilkStart account in order to connect with SilkStart. To create an account, visit www.paypal.com
2. Once the account is set up and all banking information has been confirmed, find the API coordinates for your PayPal account:
- Log into your PayPal account at www.paypal.com
- In the Profile menu, click Profile and Settings.
- From the left menu, click My selling tools. If you don't see My selling tools select Website payments.
- In the Selling online / Website payments section, click the Update link for the API access item.
- On the API Access page, click Manage API credentials under NVP/SOAP API integration
- You may be prompted to perform an identity verification with the phone number on your account.
- Select Request API signature. Then, click Agree and Submit.
- Request to view the following information: API User Name, API Password, and Signature.
- Enter this information into SilkStart or you can email these details to your SilkStart Account Manager.
- Within your SilkStart admin panel navigate to Settings > Payment Settings.
- Enter in your API Username, API Password, and Signature.
- Test Mode: Select this check box if your payment gateway has been set to test mode and is not currently taking live transactions. If your payment gateway is live, you may leave this check box unselected.
- Use the Testing tab's Test My Payment Gateway button to confirm your settings are valid.
- From the SilkStart admin panel, navigate to Settings > Payment Settings > Options to confirm that Pay Online has been turned on for each type of transaction you would like to accept online payment.
For more information, see PayPal's instructions.
3. IMPORTANT: One more step! This is to ensure that if a member's recurring payment goes through successfully, their membership will be updated and extended accordingly in SilkStart. Similarly, it's possible for a person to cancel their membership payment in PayPal. If this happens, you'll want SilkStart to cancel their membership too - this prevents people from receiving membership benefits without paying for them. In order to set up this safeguard, follow these steps:
- Log in to PayPal, and go to your profile page.
- Under Settings, find My Selling Tools. If you don't see My selling tools select Website payments
- Select Update for Instant Payment Notification.
- Enable the IPN by clicking on the orange Choose IPN Settings button.
- Enter the following into the URL field: https://secure.silkstart.com/payment/ipn
- Select the Enabled checkbox for Receive IPN Messages, click save.
- You are done! Send a quick note to our support team to confirm that you have completed this step.