What is Google Analytics?
Google Analytics allows you to see anonymous information about how people use your website, including:
- What pages they visit
- How long they stay on your site
- What pages they're starting and ending their visit with
Linking Google Analytics to your SilkStart site is a great way to get real data about how people are using your site, what they want to know, and where you're losing them. Many organizations use this information to guide their content development and help focus their marketing campaigns. Most Analytics plans are free, so it's very easy to start using the tools.
How do I add a Google Analytics Tracking ID to my SilkStart site?
- First, you must have a Google Analytics account. Then follow these instructions to create a new Property. If you have already set up a Universal Analytics account, you'll need to follow these instructions to connect your GA4 property with your Universal Analytics account.
- When you have your Measurement ID, log into your SilkStart admin panel.
- Click on Site > Website Settings.
- In the Google Analytics 4 section, paste the Measurement ID number into the Google Analytics 4 Account ID field. It should be a value like G-XXXXXX0000
- Save your changes.
Once this is done, every page on your SilkStart site will be tracked in Google Analytics. Analytics will start tracking your site right away, and you'll be able to see data in your Google Analytics admin panel within a few days.
* On July 1, 2023, Google will switch from Universal Analytics to Google Analytics 4. To ensure that your site's activity is tracked properly you will need to obtain a GA4 Tracking ID number and enter it into your SilkStart site's admin panel.
If you already have a GA4 account code, you'll need to follow these instructions in order to enter that info into SilkStart:
- Log into your Google Analytics account
- Go to Admin (gear icon in the bottom left)
- Go to Data Streams
- Select one of the data streams (if you don't have any data streams listed you'll need to create one in order to track activity)
- Copy the Measurement ID (it will begin with a G)
- Enter that number into Site > Website Settings in the Google Analytics 4 Account ID field in your SilkStart site’s admin panel. Click Save.