SilkStart allows you to create a news feed that can be shown on different parts of your site. Scroll to the bottom of this article for visual examples. Further reading: Separate articles by category
How do I write news articles?
- Go to http://yoursite.silkstart.com/articles.
- Click on Create an Article.
- Fill in the fields on this page to write your article. There are various options that can be used to customize your article:
- You can choose to upload a featured image for the article.
- If you want to post-date your article, enter a date in the future. The article will be shown as having been posted on that date.
- You can add tags to your article. Readers can filter by tags to find more articles on the same topic.
- Administrators can post on another member's behalf. The article will appear to have been written by that other user.
- Commenting on the article can be turned on or off.
- The article can be featured, meaning it will remain in your news feed even if it is not the one of the most recently posted items.
- Sticky items stay at the top of the page at http://yoursite.silkstart.com/articles, even after newer articles are posted. If you don't want the item to stay at the top of the list indefinitely, set a Sticky Expiry Date. The item will go back to its normal place in your articles list after this date.
How do I show my news feed on another page?
You can add the news feed to any custom webpage on your SilkStart site.
- Open the webpage that you want to add the news feed to.
- Click on the orange Edit link, on the far right side of the screen.
- Click in the place that you want the news feed to appear, and add a section.
- Hover over the section, so that the grey tools panel appears on the right side. Click on the gear icon.
- Click on Add a Widget.
- Select the Article Slider or Article List widget.
- The Article Slider will show a slideshow of images, with the title of the article overlaid at the bottom of the page. This is optimized for a wide column on your site
- The Article List widget will show the title of your article, and the first few words of the text. This is optimized for a narrow sidebar.
Article Page Sample
Can I use grid view as a display type for my articles?
No, there’s not a way to list the articles in a grid view. Articles are only displayed in a list view, same as the sample above.
Article List Widget Sample
Can I change what "Articles" are called? - Yes!
- In your admin panel, navigate to Settings > Apps > Articles.
- Change the Listing Title and/or Individual Title. Some examples are "News Articles", "Publications", etc.
*Be sure that your Individual Title is lower case and singular (ie. "news article", "publication")