SilkStart allows you to create groups (sometimes called forums) that your members may join. Once they have joined a group members may collaborate by posting discussion topics, pictures, holding polls and more!
Create a group
- Go to http://yoursite.silkstart.com/groups.
- Click on Create a Group.
- Fill in the fields on this page to create a group. There are various options that can be used to customize how your group looks:
- Create a group title and bio.
- Choose to upload a group logo.
- You can add tags to your group. Readers can filter by tags to find more groups on the same topic.
- Administrators can post on another member's behalf. The group will appear to be led by that other user.
- The group can be featured, meaning it will remain visible on the groups main page even if it is not the most recently posted.
- Commenting on the group can be turned on or off.
- Sticky items stay at the top of the page at http://yoursite.silkstart.com/group, even after newer groups are posted. If you don't want the item to stay at the top of the list indefinitely, set a Sticky Expiry Date. The item will go back to its normal place in your groups list after this date.
Configure your group:
After your group is created, choose "Edit" from the menu along the right to configure its settings using the following tabs:
- Permissions: Decide who can post content within the group
- Visibility: Decide who can see the group listing or access its contents
- Membership: Decide if anyone can join, or if members must be approved, invited, or based on a membership type. If "anyone can join", users will need to be logged in with an account to Join. Only Active members will display as members of the group.
- Members: Manually add members to the group
More Options (visible in the right-hand column of your group's page):
- Message All Members (a message will be sent to all members of the group)
- Create a Sub Group (a group that is accessible only when you enter the parent group)
- (Advanced) Make a group a template for creating other groups - Contact our support team to make a group as your template.
- Invite People to Join
- Delete the group
Posting in a Group
Members have a number of options for posting in a group (see photo). They may post a comment, insert an image, document, video, poll, or link.
See Group Stats
In your admin panel, navigate to Manage > Groups to see an overview of your groups, their admins, the last post date, last comment date, number of members, and number of posts.