SilkStart allows you to create groups (sometimes called forums) that your members may join. Once they have joined a group members may collaborate by posting discussion topics, pictures, holding polls and more!
Create a group
- Go to yoursite.com/groups
- Click on Create a Group.
- Fill in the fields on this page to create a group. There are various options that can be used to customize how your group looks:
- Create a group title and bio.
- Choose to upload a group logo.
- You can add tags to your group. Readers can filter by tags to find more groups on the same topic.
- Administrators can post on another member's behalf. The group will appear to be led by that other user.
- The group can be featured, meaning it will remain visible on the groups main page even if it is not the most recently posted.
- Commenting on the group can be turned on or off.
- Sticky items stay at the top of the page at http://yoursite.silkstart.com/group, even after newer groups are posted. If you don't want the item to stay at the top of the list indefinitely, set a Sticky Expiry Date. The item will go back to its normal place in your groups list after this date.
Configure your group
After your group is created, choose "Edit" from the menu along the right to configure its settings using the following tabs:
- Permissions: Decide who can post content within the group
- Visibility: Decide who can see the group listing or access its contents
- Membership: Decide if anyone can join, or if members must be approved, invited, or based on a membership type. If "anyone can join", users will need to be logged in with an account to Join. Only Active members will display as members of the group.
- Members: Manually add members to the group
More Options (visible in the right-hand column of your group's page):
- Message All Members (a message will be sent to all members of the group)
- Create a Sub Group (a group that is accessible only when you enter the parent group)
- (Advanced) Make a group a template for creating other groups - Contact our support team to make a group as your template.
- Invite People to Join
- Delete the group
Posting in a Group
Members have a number of options for posting in a group. They may post a comment, insert an image, document, video, poll, or link.
See Group Stats
In your admin panel, navigate to Manage > Groups to see an overview of your groups, their admins, the last post date, last comment date, number of members, and number of posts.