When creating a new event in SilkStart, you have the option to create a Ticketed, External, Free, or Conference-type event. Feel free to change your event type after it has been created.
You may also want to see this article if your event is taking place exclusively online.
A ticketed event is a suitable option if you need to:
- Collect revenue from the event
- Use custom fields in the signup process
- Limit the event’s capacity (How do I limit the number of tickets sold?)
You will have the option to make tickets $0 if you would still like the effect of a free event.
Depending on the time zone you choose when filling out the basic information for your event, ticket sales will begin at 12:00 AM on the start date chosen, and end at 11:59 PM on the day chosen to end sales.
- Create a coupon or discount code
- Can I customize the signup form for events?
- How do I offer custom early bird pricing?
- How do I offer custom event ticket pricing based on membership?
- How do I allow people to register for ticketed events without logging in?
- How do I limit the number of tickets sold for an event? (per attendee and for the overall event)
- Can I customize the 'Join to Purchase Text' button for member-only events?
- Can I add General Ledger (GL) codes to my event tickets?
An external event is one whose registration is handled outside of SilkStart and therefore has no tickets available for purchase on SilkStart. This is useful if your event registration is set up elsewhere or uses a different platform, but you would still like to display the event on your calendar and/or invite your members.
When creating this event, you can enter a Registration Link to direct users to where they can purchase tickets.
Create a free event if you:
- Do not need to charge for the event
- Do not need to limit the event’s capacity (Otherwise, make a Ticketed Event with $0 tickets)
This will show up as an RSVP type of event in your event database (Admin Panel > Manage > Events). Please note that custom fields may not be added to the signup form for Free events.
Using conferences, you may choose to charge an overall fee for the entire conference (including all sessions) as well as charge fees for each individual session. For detailed information, please see How do I create a conference or multi-session event?